All fruit and no Copha.
Recipe: from my imagination.
500g (2 blocks) white chocolate
1 cup mixed dried fruit*
Small handful of glacé cherries (optional)**
1/3 cup desiccated coconut
1/3 cup puffed quinoa (or Rice Bubbles, obviously)
- Line a square Pyrex baking dish with baking paper.
- Roughly chop the white chocolate and set aside.
- If you’re using larger pieces of dried fruit, chop them into roughly even pieces (sultana-sized is a good guide). And chop the cherries, if you’re using them.
- Set up a double boiler: half-fill a medium-sized saucepan with water, get the water boiling, then set a large(r than the saucepan) metal bowl on top.
- Add the white chocolate to the metal bowl, stirring with a wooden spoon until completely melted.
- Transfer the melted chocolate to a large mixing bowl, add the chopped fruit, coconut and quinoa, and stir until evenly distributed.
- Pour the mixture into the lined baking dish, spread it out evenly and smooth the top, then chuck it in the freezer to set.
- When fully set, slice into bite-sized squares – using a very sharp knife warmed under running hot water.
This holds together just fine at room temperature in July, but you can keep it in the fridge or freezer during the warmer Christmas months. Or vice versa, depending on your local hemisphere.
*I used sultanas, crystallised pineapple, dried apricots and craisins, but glacé ginger would add a nice kick.
**Some (crazy) people don’t like these mad little jewels of sweetness. If that’s you, craisins more or less do the job.