Full disclosure: my kitchen is no longer in Darlinghurst*,
and this recipe was a casual, spur-of-the-moment creation
to test out the chemistry between me and my new oven.
(I think it’s going to be a happy and productive relationship!)
Verrrry loosely based on my Thyme, fresh mint and choc chunk cookies.
2 + 1/4 cup plain flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 cup (roughly broken up) pretzels
1 cup (chopped) chocolate freckles (or nonpareils, if you insist)
220 g butter, at room temperature
3/4 cup caster sugar
3/4 cup dark brown sugar (packed)
1 tsp vanilla
2 large eggs
- Preheat the oven to 170° C.**
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- Break up the pretzels (into about 1cm pieces) until you have a cupful, and chop the freckles into quarters until likewise. Set aside.
- Cut the butter into small cubes. If it’s not already at room temperature, zap it in the microwave for 15 seconds.***
- In the bowl of a stand mixer (or a large bowl with hand beaters), cream the butter and both sugars for around 3–5 minutes.
- Still mixing, add in the eggs one by one, then the vanilla.
- Slow down the mixer(s), and gradually add the flour mixture until fully combined.
- Switch to a wooden spoon, and stir in the pretzel and freckle bits.
- Scoop out heaped teaspoons of dough onto a baking sheet (no more than 12 to the largest tray), then bake (in batches) for about 8 minutes, or until the cookies are just golden at the edges and just dry in the middle (for a chewy centre).
- Allow to cool at room temperature before sharing with friends, family, colleagues and/or new neighbours.
*I don’t think I’ll be changing my URL.
**The new-to-me oven, when told to reach and stay at this temperature, did reach and stay at this temperature. Happy times.
***Additional confession: I no longer have a microwave! This means thinking ahead and taking butter out of the fridge, rather than doing the stovetop thing. I‘d rather be more organised from the outset than have to stop and chill the dough before baking.
3 thoughts on “Pretzel-freckle cookies.”