Lazy Sunday-afternoon cookies.
Chewy in the middle, crispy at the edges.
No special talent required.
Very loosely based on Oatmeal Sandwich Cookies by Perfecting the Pairing.
1 + 3/4 cup plain flour
1 + 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon
220 g butter, softened
1 + 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup oats
1 cup desiccated coconut
1 cup raisins/sultanas
- Preheat the oven to 175° C.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Set aside.
- Soften the butter in the microwave (15 seconds).
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment (or a large bowl if you’re using hand beaters), cream together the brown sugar and butter until light and fluffy (3–4 minutes).
- Add the vanilla, then the eggs one at a time. Keep mixing until fully combined.
- Slow down the mixer and add the flour etc., mixing until just combined.
- Using a wooden spoon, mix in the oats, coconut and sultanas.
- Spoon heaped teaspoons of dough on a baking sheet or tray (no more than 9 on a large tray — these spread a lot).
- Bake each batch for about 8 minutes or until dry in the middle and golden around the edges.
- Leave to cool completely before storing in an airtight container (or making ice-cream sandwiches…).